Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rhetorical Essay Topic- Christen Roper

I realized that I had really enjoyed the TED talks after we had to create our own for my senior year project. TED talks were very interesting because the topics could range from gaming, to eating, to exercise, and so forth. The topics are always very broad, but they are very interesting to listen and to read about.

So, knowing that I could choose a TED talk for my essay topic, I immediately jumped to it. I started browsing through the talks and not long after, I had discovered the topic "Why some people find exercise harder than other," by Emily Balcetis.I decided to dive into this one because I had my own problem of finding the time and even the strength to exercise, so I clicked on the fifteen minute video and then pulled the transcript up.

She talks about how every single person may see an object in a very different way, or if they see a picture of a person, they could pick different emotions that you wouldn't have thought about. Not all of us see eye to eye, and that is what she is explaining.

Once she is done, she explains the whole idea about finding a goal when you are exercising and that some people find it farther away while others who are motivated find it closer than you think.

The idea had me rather intrigued, so I decided to use it as my essay topic. She easily uses elements of all ethos, pathos, and logos to pull us all in and directs it toward a certain audience and I was really interested in this.

So I decided to choose this TED talk as my Essay Topic for our first essay!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you created a TED talk in high school! I would love to see it sometime if you have the video. I like your description of the text you have chosen for analysis, but it would be great if you could include the actual hyperlink. Do you have a transcript for the talk? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete